Friday, March 25, 2011

I Made It Hard (I Tend to Do That)

The very sweet abbot asked me very nicely if I could help him with a project.  It was a simple one (HA) and was really quite pretty (that usually makes it easier- sewing black, black, black cassocks can be hard on the eyes).


There is a large piece of reversible fabric, with some nice galloons (fancy gold trim) to be sewn along the edge.  Simple.  One side is gold with navy blue flowers, the other navy blue with gold flowers.  It can be flipped at different times during the liturgical year, so that the appropriate color can be face up.  Perfect.

The problem: only enough trim for one side.

Hey - that's not really a problem!  I'll just hem the fabric to one side, then sew the trim to the other side - still reversible!

EXCEPT- that now The trim must be sewn on by hand, because the machine stitching against the trim looks gaudy and unfetching against such beautiful fabric.


Whoops.  I made it hard.


UPDATE:  It's finished!  I made it easy again !  Turns out that it looked gaudy on the reverse whether I sewed it by hand or machine.  The abbot was really sweet about my disappointment of not making both sides equally pretty - he gracefully told me that I successfully applied the trim to the right side.  Hooray!  Something crossed off the old TO DO List!

No comments:

Post a Comment